Head of Pharmacology (Associate Director to Senior Director)
We seek an experienced in vivo pharmacologist to join our Kymera team as the head of Pharmacology. This position will be responsible for ensuring pharmacology support and analysis across programs in both oncology and inflammation and provide expertise in efficiently driving to high-quality development candidates for lead programs. As Kymera moves to new facilities, the Head of Pharmacology will additionally be responsible for building and maintaining in-house vivarium facilities and infrastructure.
- Manage and mentor a team of pharmacology scientists, ensuring adequate support for in vivo efficacy, safety and PK/PD studies across Kymera’s portfolio.
- Be the in vivo expert and contribute scientifically and technically to the strategy and tactics of multiple projects in the pipeline.
- Hands on participant in the design, direction, execution, and analysis of in vivo studies to profile compound for proof of mechanism and proof of concept.
- Choose the right mechanistic or disease models appropriate for the target and the biology
- Integrate data and information from those studies to provide a detailed understanding of the pharmacology of the compounds and to be enable understanding of in vitro-in vivo correlations
- Perform PK-PD modeling to help inform on human dosing
- Identify, initiate, and manage productive collaborations with CROs and academic labs as appropriate to driving projects forward.
- Lead the build out and establish new vivarium space at Kymera’s new facilities. This will include supporting the appropriate strategy to enable both infrastructure and personnel to ensure this facility is functional in CY 2020.
- Proactively recognize and solve technical and scientific issues to assure high quality data from external resources.
- Work effectively with other disciplines, including cell biology, DMPK, and safety/tox to collectively build the preclinical data package for clinical candidate nomination.
- Lead a project from early discovery to development candidate.
- Participate in evaluation of targets and projects to continually refresh the drug discovery pipeline and progress the platform.
- Contribute to building a positive, team-oriented biotech culture.
- A track record in using their pharmacology experience to drive projects to development candidate stage.
- Direct experience in supporting IND strategy and documentation, including writing relevant pharmacology sections of INDs.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams to drive go/no go decisions.
- Proficiency and hands-on experience with acute and chronic in vivo models of oncology, immuno-oncology, or autoimmunity.
- Ability to model PK-PD using programs such as WinNonLin is a plus.
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to effectively manage CROs and to facilitate interactions with academic labs and companies to ensure project progression.
- Experience in managing vivarium space, including personnel and infrastructure.
- Self-motivation and flexibility to adapt workplans quickly to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Desire to advance and excel in their position while contributing to overall company growth.
- The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic, goal-driven, individual who is willing to roll up their sleeves and participate as both a strategic leader and, hands-on as a team contributor.
- We seek individuals who are scientifically curious and rigorous and who thrive and influence in the dynamic environment of a small company, and are willing to reach outside of their own discipline to ensure that projects are driven to success.
- To succeed at Kymera, you will need to be collaborative and team-oriented, open-minded, creative, self-aware, demonstrate excellent communication skills, and bring proven strategic and people leadership skills.
- PhD in pharmacology or biology, with 10+ years direct pharmaceutical experience beyond postdoctoral work
- Ability and willingness to lead from the bench
- Direct experience working in smaller companies is highly preferred
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us why you think you’d be a good fit for this position.