Head of Lead Discovery (Director to Executive Director)
We are seeking an exceptional scientist to head the Lead Discovery group at Kymera Therapeutics, a biotechnology company pioneering a transformative new approach to treating previously untreatable diseases. This is a rare opportunity to both shape and define novel hit finding strategies for all discovery programs at Kymera Therapeutics and to work collaboratively with seasoned leaders in oncology, immunology and drug discovery. The company is advancing the field of targeted protein degradation, accessing the body’s innate protein recycling machinery to degrade rather than inhibit dysregulated, disease-causing proteins. Reporting to the VP of Drug Discovery, the candidate for this position will be responsible for leading a multi-functional group to support early stage discovery programs, including producing high-quality protein reagents, performing biochemical characterization of target proteins and protein complexes, delivering robust biochemical/biophysical assays, conducting various screenings and subsequent validation to enable hit finding and lead optimization. As a member of the senior discovery leadership team, the candidate will provide strategic input into target biology and novel approaches to hit finding and validation.
- Lead a multi-functional team of scientists (biochemistry, biophysics, structural biology, early biology) and coordinate research activities to meet project timelines and ensure prioritization of early and late discovery programs
- Accountable for the group strategy to enable hit finding for novel degradation targets
- Drive both hit-finding and lead optimization strategy for Kymera’s discovery programs to deliver development candidates for internal pipeline targets as well as external partnership programs
- Mentor, motivate and develop group members, provide scientific guidance and identify high growth opportunities to foster career advancement
- Managing internal resources and external vendors (CRO) to ensure timely advancement of early discovery programs from target validation to DC selection
- Identify collaboration opportunities and develop joint research programs with academic researchers to support Kymera discovery programs
- Extensive experience in small molecule drug discovery and applying innovative and diverse hit finding techniques: demonstrated expertise and a track record of advancing programs from target validation to screening/hit finding to lead optimization and DC. Additional experience in preclinical development and supporting IND enabling studies is a plus
- Expertise in state-of-the-art screening and technologies including DEL, FBDD, CETSA, PCA, FLIPR, SPR, NMR, AlphaScreen, NanoBret, RT-qPCR etc.
- Direct experience in working with and characterizing challenging proteins. Experience working in the field of targeted protein degradation and/or experience with UPS biology is a plus
- General knowledge in oncology and disease biology is preferred
- Proven leadership qualities: Successfully mentored and motivated team members. Extensive experience in initiating and managing external research collaborations
- Exceptional communication skills
- Demonstrated track record of recruiting, retaining and developing talent
- A strong publication record in high-impact peer reviewed journals and conference presentations
Enthusiastic, goal-driven, collaborative and team-oriented, open-minded, creative, self-awareness, excellent communication skills, proven strategic and people leadership skills
PhD in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Structural Biology or Bioengineering or related disciplines with a minimum of 10 years experience in small molecule drug discovery. Prior experience in leading a multi-functional group of highly talented scientists is preferred.
Email us at email@example.com to tell us why you think you’d be a good fit for this position.